Monday, October 3, 2011

General Conference Part Dos

Hey family,

How's it going everybody? I heard you all had a pretty good week and
that you all had a good general conference. I have to admit that
General Conference was pretty amazing! I learned a lot and definately
felt the spirit testify to me that every single one of those men are
prophets of God. I thoroughly enjoyed your pictures. The bit about the
tire and piece of metal on the freeway makes sense if you think about
it. Alex is still crazy, my comp thinks he is "especial". The UTES
CHIPS was sooo cool, thanks, I needed that. I almost flipped out when
I saw Albert Pujols on the TV!!! I can't believe they made the
playoffs!! How are they doing? How did the Utes do? Grandpa is a real
fighter and a hoot it looks like.

So my week was definately an interesting one. Yes, I am still without
a companion until the end of October. But its actually not that bad. I
have to admit that it took some getting used to. But the Lord does
everything for a reason. I really have learned a lot about leadership
and setting a good example and how to take the lead during lessons and
some other important things. My companion is still Luis. He goes to
Bolivia on his own mission in three weeks and he actually wants to
learn some things and work a bit more than the other young men from
the stake. But its still not the same because he's not quite as
focused on the mission and following all of the rules as I am. I have
gotten to know my area a lot better now. I know where my boundaries
are and we have some more people to teach nowadays. Yes I'm still
living in the same house as when I came. The owners are super nice,
old (like 75), and don't bug us too much. They aren't members but one
of their daughters is. I'm healthy and strong don't worry about me. We
live in one of the safest places in all of Peru. Like I said before,
it reminds me of St. George because of the weather, the people, the
geography and smallness of the town. There's palm trees and when there
is a breeze its pretty nice. Also, unlike Arequipa, they actually have
COLD soda that they put in the fridge. One of the things that I had to
get used to is working with two wards and having to go to church twice
every week. Also I had to get used to working with the young men of
the stake and finding my way around the ward blindly.

This week was really special because of Conference obviously. I'm so
glad that the church actually prints all of the conference talks
becuase there is no way that I could have taken enough notes and
listened closely to remember all of the talks. It really is a blessing
to read conference talks all the year around. If it's important to
you, you'll want to read them every day. My testimony of the Prophet
grew even more this past week. I know that Thomas S. Monson is a true
prophet of God called in these latter days. People here in Peru
believe in prophets fairly easily but they think that any person that
has read the bible is a prophet  so it's important for them to know
what a true prophet is. I was soo surprised to hear about the other
temple in Provo. I'm glad to hear about the other temple in South
America too. That was my second general conference so only two more.

Sorry, times up. I hope that you all read the ensign. I was so glad to
hear about the church in Peru and am so proud to be part of this work
here. Thank you for all of your prayers and support.

Love,

Elder Child

P.S. I completed 11 months in the Mission TODAY!

No comments: