Friday, August 31, 2012

Anxiously Engaged

Hey Family,

Well first things first. I'm glad to hear that its possible to come get me I'm just sorry there's not much time to plan everything. Right at this moment all I have is the husband's email, who is really the one that has the tour business, its jorgesad3@hotmail.com I THINK!!! Sorry but I didn't exactly come to the internet store with all that info. But ya seriously she was like, ya I can do it for about 800 soles (which is like $300) and she took me through every single day, the hotels, the food, the buses, everything. Remember that guy who called you from Orem and his daughter served in my mission? Well she was in that area too and they did a similar tour with that sister, so they've done it before. The couple's name is Jorge and Noelia Sardon. They kind of speak english but not super fluent. I don't have their number today but will bring it next week. As far as my release date is concerned I believe it is the 6th of November or the 7th but I'll call the office and try to get that info!!! If you call my president I have no idea if you will be able to speak to him because I've never heard him speak english, good luck!

So this week was actually really interesting even though it was kind of stressful at the same time. First of all I have to tell you about a first in my life. Wednesday was the first time in my life that I've eaten goose! It was pretty interesting. So there's a part of our area that's up the canyon about an hour and a half in bus and we went there on Wednesday. Its pretty cool becuase Camanà is the coast and pretty humid but this place (named Socso) is like nice and dry by a river and there is NOTHING! Its pretty much all dirt where the people live and they build their houses out of plants (in spanish its cañas but in english I have no I idea what it is).  Anyways, there's some members who live up there so they took us to their references and we taught a little bit. But the interesting part was when the old grandma killed the goose and said hey this is what we're having for lunch! Goose is good, its like duck, which is like a tough chicken!

This week we are going do have a baptism and wedding (i hope). We are trying to marry a member to her "husband" and he's going to get baptized. His name is Eliseo and he's got a cool story kind of. His wife and daughters have almost always gone to church but he was too busy working and getting drunk to care. Then about a month ago he fell off a construction site and broke his back. That's when he decided to take the missionaries seriously and listen and go to church. So we've been helping them get married which is like a nightmare becuase the peruvians aren't exactly organized and they do everything in the hardest way! But yeah, I have faith that it's going down this Friday!! (Pray for us)

 This was the first time in a long time that I've been a part of a "real" branch council meeting. It was actually pretty awesome becuase they did a lot. They actually made goals for the trimester report and made everybody accountable for what is going on in their organization. For example, of the 167 families that live in the branch, only 10 were visited by their home teachers last month, so they kind of wanted to get better. Then they surprised us and started making goals about the missionary work in the branch! We were pretty happy becuase they want to baptize 11 people this month of September! If that actually happens that would be great! We really need their help becuase we have like three families that need to get married in order to get baptized which is like impossible to do without the member's help. The branch president quoted Pres. Hinckley and I really liked it "If you spend your whole life just thinking of yourself you'll end of being very sad. Lose yourself in the best cause there is in the worl, the Lord's and you'll experience more hapiness than anything else." I like that becuase it is absolutely true. I've been a little more engaged in the service of my fellow beings this past week and have really felt the difference. The time sure flies and I've felt even more strength from my heavenly father.

I love you all very much, thank you for your prayers. The hill in the morning for breakfast is getting shorter every day and I don't breathe as hard when we get there. But I don't know if I can get used to the ice cold showers every morning!!!

Till next week, love you all!!!

Elder Child

P.S. We were walking home really fast one night through a street that's kind of dark and I hit my head on  a low lying roof! The peruvians didn't really have me in mind when they made their houses. I felt like an Idiot though!


P.S.S. Well here are the pics from my baptism en Palacio, Diana.  Then there's pics from Jackson's baptism and finally my birthday wish to my favorite sister named Karyn!!!! Happy birthday sis sorry I couldn't be there for the party at Texas Roadhouse, was too busy preaching the gospel among the sinners here in Peru!!! Love you all, have a good week!!






No comments: