Tuesday, August 21, 2012

It's always good to start a transfer with a baptism!!

Hey Family,

Greetings from Camana in the great country of Peru! This week really has been something different and exciting. I could definately see the Lord's hand in my life this past week and I'm so grateful for it. It was so good to hear from all of you, thanks for your prayers and for your thoughts, I honestly was able to feel all of them. I have a lot to tell you all so lets get started.

Well my area is pretty interesting. The city is by the ocean so the weather is sometimes like a really nice San Diego, sea breeze and warm sun. But becuase its winter here in Peru its been pretty overcast and muggy. That's supposed to change here in about a month and then its supposed to get really hot right about the last of November. My area is next to the fields and farms of camana. They farm a lot of rice and other stuff here. Its pretty interesting how they do stuff here in Peru, they save all the flat area for farming then they build their houses on steep slopes of sand. So there's a lot of dirt just to say the least. We live pretty far away from where we eat so that's always an adventure. We have to walk really fast (up a giant hill of sand) for about five minutes to eat. I get a work out every time! The members here are pretty cool, they are warm and friendly even if they have no idea how to run a branch of the church.

My comp like I said is like my little brother because he turned 18 the 17th of March. He's from Santiago Chile and he has about two months in the mission now. He was born in the covenant (which is pretty rare). He played for the "minor leagues" of chilean soccer so that's cool! I really love him becuase he's super obedient and knows the lessons. I barely have to help him at all.

We had a baptism this first week which was awesome. Jackson is a little kid who's grandma is a member so we taught a couple of times and had his baptism on Saturday. I'll have to go into more detail when I get home but lets just say it was a special experience with the water. My comp baptized him then Sunday he got confirmed.


Something really hilarious that happened this week is that the little kid that lives where we eat was eating spicy chips so he started to blow on them to cool them down!! I love little kids!!!

Sunday was amazing because we found a bunch of really awesome people to teach and baptize. One lady said she had heard the missionaries before and has a lot of family members who are members. She was about to get baptized but then her dad got sick and had to take care of him. She also had a dream where god told her to read the book of mormon so that's awesome.

Well, that's about all for this week, the hour really flies by to write letters. Thanks once again and do something fun for my birthday and for Karyn's as well. Love you tons. Congrats Alex on the old Elder ordination thing, the priesthood is awesome but only if you use it to serve others (go home teaching)!!!!

Love,

Your Bro,

Elder Child

No comments: