Saturday, April 28, 2012

When Life Gives You Lemons, Make Limonada

Hey Family Child,
Its so good to hear from all of you this week. It sounds like you all had a good week with some cool spiritual experiences and some revelation recieved. Every Monday morning I'm very grateful for the letters and prayers that I recieve through these emails. I know that the Lord knows us and our situations and is consious of what we need in order to progress in this life. I'm eternally grateful for families, knowledge of the gospel, the plan, the priesthood, the Book of Mormon, life in general, the mission, friends, hard times, good times, changes, and of course my dogs! That's cool to hear about President Nordgren's experience in Machu Pichu and the Inca Trail. I've heard from Tour Guides that that trail is pretty tough even for them, but that the payoff is extraordainary! I really would like to visit Machu Pichu one day, I've heard so much about it! I know  thatsomehow that city has to be related to the Nephites.

This week was definately a trying one. That's probably why I've been thinking a lot about my blessings and the things I'm grateful for in this life. I know that things happen for a reason and sometimes those things happen to humble us and make us repent (in all forms of the word). Some things happened this week that makes me think I need a different perspective on life and I need to learn. Well, to start off, last Sunday we were planning on having two baptisms yesterday. We were pretty excited. But Monday night we visited one sister and we taught tithing. She was okay with that but when we talked about her baptism she freaked out and said no way I'm not getting baptized this week. She says she wants to have an amazing vision or something to get baptized. Basically she doesn't want to exercise the faith necessary to follow a commandment because she's recieved answers to her prayers. She didn't want to be "asked" to get baptized, she wants to do it without any outward invitation or pressure. It was kind of frustrating. She really didn't understand the Plan of Salvation very well either so we explained why it is absolutely necessary to experience pain and suffering in this life in order to grow and to become like our Father in Heaven. I really felt the Spirit testify to me in that moment that everything in this life is for our good and to teach us how to be perfect one day. Little did I know that the Lord was going to test that testimony latter in the week.

Something really awesome that happened this week was that I went on splits with an Elder from Nicaragua. I love central americans becuase most of them like baseball. So does he. His favorite teams are the Red Sox and Cardinals!!! We had a lot to talk about to say the least. Turns out one of his best friends is pitching for the Phillies. The major league Phillies. I just caught his last name, Sevilla. He said it's cool to see someone you know go from living in the hood to being a major league player making the big money.

So what happened on Saturday was the real trial. We were going to have a baptism of the guy named Carlos. Carlos is really cool. We contacted him once in the street and he seemed interested but he didn't want us to come to his house. He basically told us he'd come visit us. And since that never happens, we kind of just wrote him off. Two weeks later he came to church early Sunday morning but conference Sunday. So we invited him to conference and he showed up by himself. We taught him for two weeks and once he even told us "you know what, I've been reading all this stuff and I already know that I need to follow these commandments. I'm already willing to live by these rules, you don't have to worry." He was all set to get baptized Saturday at 5:00. But at 4:00 he called and said that he wasn't going to be able to do it. I was like, whoa why? After his interview Friday he told his grandma he's going to get baptized but she was like if you get baptized you're not my grandson anymore. So that really freaked him out and he's kind of scared of disappointing his whole family so he told us he needs to work all this out before he can get baptized!! I felt so heart broken and really powerless. He's a grown man, like 30 years old, but he couldn't just tell his grandma no. We had to explain it all to the members there in the baptism as they showed up and I felt bad obviously. I had no idea what to do in that moment so we prayed. All we felt was that there was nothing that we as missionaries could do in that moment so we just need to wait, be patient, and all will work out.

Everything worked out fine in the end becuase the members were really supportive of our "loss", it was kind of like a funeral. They were okay with just eating the cake with all of us there and talking for a while. Then we had ward council yesterday and put down some really concrete goals and plans to improve the ward mission plan. We went teaching some less actives with the bishop and that relationship is getting better every day. So, in all, I was sad but I think we moved forward and tried to improve the ward in any way I could. I'm grateful for pray and for the Holy Ghost that will comfort us when we really need it. Thank you all for your prayers and support, especially for the package of socks, pens, and really awesome chocolate that you can't find here in Peru! Hope you all have and awesome week and that all works out well for you in Salt Lake. I DID know about the new missions in Salt Lake. I think that's really awesome about having 4 whole companionships for the majority of the stakes!! I'm excited to work with those Elders when I get back, especially becuase I can speak spanish too!! My mission president's nephew got called to that new mission in Salt Lake so I might meet him one day. hahaha

Love,

Eldercito Child

No comments: