Monday, April 2, 2012

Conference is Awesome

Hey Familia,
It's so good to hear from all of you this week. I just want to say hi to all yall over and out there in the good ole usa and especially in Utah. This week went by soo fast I really don't know what to say. It seems like it was just yesterday that I was writing everybody. This week was soo crazy and soo cool. It really was an awesome week and I hope I can tell you the very best parts.
Well, to start off we were able to play soccer again on Monday and I think I actually like the sport now, considering that I hardly ever played before the mission. P -day was pretty much just a normal Monday like all the rest though, nothing too exciting to shake the socks off or anything.
I'm pretty sure the biggest news this week went down Tuesday night. The zone leaders called and told my comp he had an emergency transfer to the other side of Arequipa, the beach. I thought it was just a joke but sure enough after about 10 minutes of confirming it, he really did have a transfer! He left early in the morning wednesday and it was just a little weird to say goodbye. We had only been together for a month and I was wondering if there was a problem on the other side of the transfer, the other missionaries. My new companion got here Wednesday morning and I realized he was an answer to my prayer. His name is Elder Bastidas and he's from Bogota, Columbia!!! He's from the same place as Elder Parra and in fact, they were companions in the MTC in Lima. We get along really well and we are working harder than before.
The real answer to my prayers came that night in a lesson with an investigator. She has been listening to the missionaries for like 4 months and her whole family got baptized before she did. Her name is Violeta and she's really cool. She just had a lot of doubts and little things that were bothering her so she put up excuses as to why she didn't want to get baptized. When we got there with Elder Bastidas she pretty much just opened up and told us exactly all the things that were bothering her and we helped her to get over all that stuff. She committed to get baptized this weekend right after the last session of General Conference!!! I was so happy to hear that. And sure enough, she got baptized last night after the Sunday afternoon session of General Conference!! Her baptism was so special. Her husband baptized her and her neighbor confirmed her. Right before the baptismal service started the bishop told me, hey we need a speaker and you're going to give a talk, alright? So I guess I just had to accept it and wing the whole talk. It was good though, I felt impressed to talk about the miracle of repentance and forgiveness that we always have access to becuase of the love of our Father in Heaven. 

That was the perfect end to the best weekend of the year. Yes, we were able to watch all of conference in the stake center, and in English too!! We were a bunch of happy gringos. My favorite talk once again came from the mouth of Jeffrey R. Holland!! That guy is such a boss!!! Well, he should be, he's an apostle of God!!! I loved that talk becuase there are so many people that can apply it in their lives, especially me! I also liked the talk from President Eyring on Saturday and President Uchtdorf on Sunday, especially the part about not judging me just becuase I sin differently than you do. I laughed when Elder Nelson made the joke about the explosion in the printing press creating a dictionary! He burned so many people but with a smile and love in his voice. Also we thought it was pretty hilarious when Elder Chistofferson used a bunch of huge words that nobody understands then takes a break and says, translate that!!! HAHAHAH!! By the way, they didn't translate that in spanish!!!! 
All in all I have to say that I felt so much love from my Father in Heaven this week. I loved the words of the prophet and even more loved the things I felt. Almost cried in Elder Anderson's talk and once again felt like I can be more like Jesus. I hope this letter finds you all well and that you all have great weeks!!!!

Love,

Your Son and Brother,

Elder Child

P.S. Just to let you know I got my Valentines package three weeks ago, just forgot to mention it. Also, in the next package I kind of need some things: 1. some new pairs of socks, like 3 pairs please; 2. pen refills for Pilot G-2 Blue, like 10 or as many as you wish to send. If you could hook me up with some of that stuff it would be nice, if not just pass the voice and I'll buy some here.

No comments: