Saturday, December 18, 2010

Zone Leader and Taking Naps


Hey Familia,
Sorry to hear about all your struggles with getting me my email, it sounded like a good time though. Also, its good to hear that the Christmas party was pretty fun. Lo siento (that means sorry), but I haven't gotten letters yet from you guys. It usually takes about ten days sometimes two weeks to get them here, but i don't know for sure. I would sure feel loved if I actually got mail though becuase it is so rare an occurrance here in the Peru CCM. If you get a letter it's like way big news here. Writing emails -and really anything in english here- is getting kind of hard because the spanish is all around me. So, sorry in advance for any spanish words that slip in or of any misspellings. It's kind of hard to find a place to start to tell you all about this week. I'll just start with last p-day. I tried to send some photos but the message failed or something, but I'll try again today. Also, I kind of found out some bad news too... On Christmas at the MTCs all over the world, we're not allowed to call our families. It's kind of a bummer but we can think of it like this, when we actually do get to talk to each other it will be that much more special. On saturday we went proselyting again. That was an interesting experience. We were actually in a little bit of a nicer part of Lima, but we didn't have anywhere near a successful outing. My companion is so shy and timid that he has a very hard time talking to people and getting into people's houses to teach them. The most success we had is when I would do the door contact (in my extremely limited spanish, mind you) and get them to committ to read a pamphlet. I felt really proud of myself for doing that, but that is pretty much all I can do in Spanish, so I really wanted to rely on my companion. It was kind of a let down when he would just sit there and not say anything or just say goodbye to them. Oh well, i've learned to let it go and i've actually learned to have compassion for him. This is really a hard experience for him, so i just need to be patient and excepting. I've been praying for him so i hope that helps him. So that was Saturday, but on Sunday we had like the most spiritual day ever. We had church first, then lunch (we got ice cream cones), but after that we were allowed to watch previous talks by apostles at the Provo MTC. It was so good, we watched one by Elder Uchtdorf, and one by Elder Holland. Elder Holland's passion just makes me want to run a marathon or something. He is the most driven individual I've ever seen. I felt the spirit so strong, and learned a TON about missionary work. Then we watched Mr. Krueger's Christmas. It was so good to hear the music and see the christmas stuff in that movie. It also made me miss home, and temple square and the snow, but I know I'll be fine. I would ask that you all take serious advantage of your being so close to temple square, becuase I think that besides my family, Temple Square is what I miss most about Christmas in Utah. So then after we watched that, we watched a talk by Elder Scott. He has such a soothing voice that I fell asleep though. He was talking about recognizing the spirit and stuff but I totally zonked out. Anyways, after that we went and had dinner, then after dinner we had a cool fireside where the district's that were leaving each sang a special musical number. But then after that, we watched the Joseph Smith Movie. It is such a good movie and I always feel edified every time I watch it. So that was Sunday, now on to the rest of the week. Pretty much it was the craziest three days ever. Like I said, the missionaries that came in six weeks ago all left yesterday (that includes the three week latinos). So the CCM needed new zone leaders, so guess who they called as a zone leader? Ya, it was me. So now I actually have to pay attention to the other missionaries here and make sure they're following the rules. Oh well, it's a good calling and stuff, it's just more responsibility. So, we're supposed to get new missionaries from the states this week as well. We're recieving like 75 new north americans and only 50 new latinos, so i don't get a latino companion for the next three weeks, sad. You would think that would be a blessing, but honestly that is how i learned any spanish at all here. I don't know who my new companion is yet though becuase he is one of the new north americans. So i'll probably find out on Thursday, maybe Friday who it is. We got new districts and it looks like my new distric is going to be a really good one that works hard. I'm now what's called an Avanzado (advanced), that just means i've been here for three weeks and i'm supposed to be an example of what a missionary should be. We're also supposed to be the leaders and the ruled enforcers and stuff like that. So today is really exciting because at like 1:00 we get to go take a four hour tour of Lima!!! We get to go buy cool stuff and see the sites and things. It's going to be awesome. Well that's about it for me this week, I'll try again to send pictures though because i know you guys are missing them. Have an awesome next week and remember to read the scriptures as a family. Yo sé qué si leerán, sentirán el espíritu y paz en sus vidas. Yo sé qué esta iglesia es verdadera y José Smith fue un profeta. Yo sé qué El Libro de Mormón es verdadero y Jesucristo vive. That's my spanish testimony and promise to you that if you read the scriptures you will feel the spririt and be blessed. Have a good week, I love you so much.
Love- Elder Child



No comments: