Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Merry Christmas

Hey Familia,
I can't believe it's been another week already. Time flies by so fast here in the CCM. Sorry about the weird letter setup, my computer is being stupid and won't let me hit the enter button for some reason. Anyway, it's kind of hard to think of things to write about this week but I'll try my best. So right after I wrote you all my last letter, I met my new companion. His name is Elder Murphy, he's from Glendora, California near Los Angeles. He's a white north american so it's definately different having him as a companion as opposed to Elder Guevara. He's like a super cool guy. I really like him and we seem to get along perfectly. He actually walked on to BYU's football team this past season as a cornerback. He didn't play or anything, he didn't even get a jersey, but it's still a cool thing. He's kind of small but really strong. He and I just really seem to get along well. We teach fairly well with eachother. He spent six weeks in Provo so he only has three weeks here. He's the only new Elder in our district so it's kind of hard sometimes to teach with him because he hasn't been here and learned how to teach the way the teachers want us to teach. It's definately not a problem or anything, it's just the way it is for now. I was thoroughly impressed by his skills in spanish though. He had a hard time at first with understanding people, but that was just because he hadn't been around it as much as I have. So after I met him I got to go on a bus tour of Lima. It was really cool, even though it was only like four hours. Our tour guide was Sister Slingerland, the wife of one of the members of the CCM Presidency. She's really nice and she knows a lot of things about Lima even though she's pretty much a tourist herself. I took lots of pictures of the architecture and beaches and stuff so don't worry. I won't have time this week to send them but maybe next week, I'm hoping. So after that I just have been going to class and trying to learn as much as I can during class about how to teach and stuff. I don't mean to sound generic or anything, it's just that really, everyday here seems to blend together.
I've been trying to be a good zone leader. Pretty much my calling just involves doing some things on Sundays like setting up programs for sacrament and attending a leadership meeting in the morning, so it's not a huge deal I think. I really got closer to the Elders here which has been the hardest part for me. I'm not exactly the most social person in the world as you know, so i'm proud of myself for making friends. Pretty much the next most interesting thing that happened this week for me happened last night (i think), oh wait it was Monday night. So Monday, a lot of the Senior couples that work at the Area offices next door came Christmas Caroling to us in the courtyard, in English. It was nice and made me think of Christmas at home. I wasn't really homesick, but I guess some Elders were crying becuase they missed their familes, which is understandable. They gave us a treat package with homemade cookies in it. It was nice and different than what we usually get, so i was happy about that. It made me think of when Debbie Huff would give us our candy/treat basket for Christmas. Has she brought one yet? You should definately take advantage of that. Oh, thanks for the letters, yes they did make it here. Thank you for all of your thoughts and prayers as well, it has really helped me. It is really difficult for me here sometimes because for whatever reason I think I have to be perfect or something. I feel my family's love though.
I've really enjoyed my time I get to read the Ensign, it gives me a lot of hope and I really feel the spirit while I read the words of living prophets. Today was p-day so we went out to go to the Temple. I have to admit that I wasn't feeling like going before I got there, but once I was there, I felt so good. It seems like everytime I go out of these walls, the city is cleaner, the weather is nicer, the people are friendly, and the houses are nicer. I'm learnig to really like it here and to see the good in life. I don't know what the deal is with my body. I hope I'm not gaining any weight (did you notice in the pictures?) and it doesn't feel like I'm losing any either, so I guess if I'm just staying consistent that's good. I'm actually pretty nervous to go out into the field. Even though it is getting boring here, it is getting comfortable. I don't think I'm the most prepared. It seems like sometimes I don't have a clue what I'm doing in teaching situations. But I just have to remember that I will learn eventually and that Heavenly Father will help me as well. I encourge you to continue to read scriptures and pray every day. Just try to be happy as a family and have good experiences together. I think I took my time together with my family for granted a little bit. I know the Lord will bless you if you are obedient and become more like Him. This season isn't only for finding gifts to give to other people, but for finding Christ. We can truly come to know our Redeemer if we take the time to learn of Him and try to become the kind of person he was. I know that happiness in this life can only come through Christ and living His teachings. Have a Merry Christmas. I can only imagine what it's like at home with all the Christmas decorations and things. Our CCM Mother is such a nice lady. She is putting together nice Christmas things this week to make us feel more at home, I don't know what they are yet, but I've been promised they will be fun and spiritual. Some missionaries say that the slowest part of the mission is the MTC. I hope that's not true because i feel like it was just yesterday I said goodbye to you guys at the curb. Just an FYI. You should all probably start sending your letters to my mission home on Christmas. I'm leaving in two Tuesdays from here, (I think that is the 3rd) so just so you know. Sorry if I missed any of your questions about what's going on here, I'll try to write more next week. Once again, I love you and I will always pray for you, talk to you next week.

No comments: