Monday, January 2, 2012

Feliz Año Nuevo!

Greetings to the whole Child Bunch!! (Don't think I've ever started an
email with the word "greetings" just trying to mix it up)

Hey family! Its so good to read all of your emails about the past
week. I'm glad that you all passed an awesome new year and that you
spent it as a family. I'm very happy to hear that the Utes beat the
Yellowjackets (yes, I do remember Georgia Tech's mascot) in overtime
and that they could reclaim a little bit of credibility. I was also
very elated to hear that Lindsey is finally off to the mission. I know
that her life will be blessed so much as she goes to serve the Lord in
Iowa. I made a friend here in Moquegua, Elder Hansen. He is the
Cardinals fan and he lived in Iowa until he was 18. He just told me
how FREEZING COLD it gets there becuase of the horrible wind in the
winter, have fun with that Lindsey. No, I know from experience that
the Lord will bless us for sacrifices.

Although I thank you all for the good news, I'm sorry to hear about
Keith Yocum. He was such a good man and a faithful member. I remember
how he would watch me and my little bro play basketball in the back
yard and how he was always outside with his dear wife doing things in
the yard. I can't say that I knew him SUPER well but the things I do
know about him makes me look to him as an example. I'm glad that he
didn't have to suffer very much and I know that he will be able to see
his family again one day. Really, that is what this gospel is about.
We talked to one of our investigators yesterday and whe asked her what
she expects (or wants) from our Father in Heaven. She told us that she
wants more than anything to be able to live with her son (she's a
single mom) forever. That made me think about all the wonderful
blessings this gospel gives to us. Now, if she would just apply the
gospel to her life and be obedient to the commandments, she could get
baptized in two weeks.

This week was pretty crazy with new years. A sister from the ward gave
us dinner at like 8:00. Then at like 10 another sister wanted to
deliver food so we said, ya come on over and drop it off. She didn't
come until 1:30!!! I was like dead asleep and as we were talking at
the door somebody lit off a hand grenade in the street and that was
kind of annoying!! They go pretty crazy with the fireworks here in
Peru. They were doing that stuff until who knows what time. Lets just
say that yesterday was the first time in my mission that a sacrament
meeting started without more than three priesthood holders (us and the
bishop). It was interesting.

As I look back on the year its so interesting to see my progress. Just
today we had to run uphill like 6 blocks to go get something at the
house that we forgot. I usually run with my backpack loaded with
scriptures and other things and it's kind of heavy. I can usually go
like three blocks up the hill before walking but this time I went
almost the whole six. When we take off our "backpacks" we can really
see how much we've progressed. But we always need to do more. AS a
mission we baptized 1746 people this year and we're happy because
that's the most this mission has done for 4 years but we need to
always improve.

Thanks for all the support and prayers. My package has yet to come but
I still have hope, kind of. My book of testimonies came and I was
deeply touched. I will write more about that next week.

With Love,

Your,

Elder Child

No comments: