Tuesday, October 16, 2012

The Real World

Hey Family,

Thanks for all your love and thoughts this week. I've definately felt my savior closer to me these past days because even thought I'm used to being a missionary and I love doing it, there are still trials and days that just don't go as well as planned. But through it all I've grown do know that my Father in Heaven loves me and that I can make decisions that will make me happy in this life no matter what is going on around me. Feel free to send me as many letters as you want, I'm not complaining. It was funny to only see a couple this week as a response to what happened last week! As I think of it though I'm not really that far from talking to everyone of you so just hang tight. I also have to thank mom for making even more trunky than usually by painting me a nice picture of the canyons and the leaves in the fall. Its been about two years since I've seen a red or orange leaf so that's something I'd like to get back to.

I'm really amazed at just how much my view of the world and my view of people's decisions have changed on the mission. I have been blessed with a gift, probably one of my only gifts, of knowing why it's important to be obedient. It just makes sense to me, I really don't ask a lot of questions when it comes to commandments and rules and things like that. I also know that there is really no excuse to be disobedient then think that God will just forgive us becuase we had the "intention" to be a good person but for some excuse or another we weren't. I tell you all these things becuase we had the chance to visit a few more less active members and investigators who are really good people but who don't seem to aknowledge the importance of being obedient. We visited a man who got baptized more than 15 years ago and who really enjoyed listening to the missionaries and even gave them room and board. Little by little he fell away from the church. His excuse was that he had to work to support his family. He said that it wasn't possible to go to church on Sundays because if he did his kids would starve. I understood his concern but after establishing his faith in Jesus Christ we taught him what Jesus says to the Nephites in the Americas. Its when he reteaches the Sermon on the Mount and says that we shouldn't worry about what we are going to eat or drink or what we're going to wear, God will provide. I felt the spirit and knew it was true when we taught him that principle. But after I read the scripture he tells me, "Come on Elder, that was then, this is now. Unfortunately I have to live in the REAL world. Get serious." I felt really sad for him in that moment becuase he is missing out on so many blessings. Then I thought, you know what, THIS IS the REAL world. If we live by the teachings of our Savior, he really will bless us.

I think that we are sometimes the same as this good man who has real concerns about providing for his family. Do we REALLY believe in the scriptures? Do we apply them to ourselves? Or do we just think they are pretty stories? I know that if we trust in the scriptures and bind the Lord to His promises, we will never go hungry or fail in this life. I invite you all to ponder about your level of obedience and think about if you are putting up excuses to not be obedient. If there is something that impedes you to keep a commandment, really consider adapting your life so that you can keep that commandment.

This week was also really cool because we've seen some really good progress from some investigators. I'm amazed at how perfect the organization of the church is. Ward council can bless so many peoples' lives we just have to use it correctly. We are going to help a few couples get married in the next couple of weeks becuase there is going to be a free marriage soon! I'm excited for all the happy things that are going to go down after I leave, that makes me not want to leave! I hope you're all good and happy, I love you all!! Till next week!

Love,

Elder Child

P.S. October kills me because my team is going to REPEAT that playoff run of theirs!!! Just watch! (please tape the games)

No comments: