Friday, December 2, 2011

Happy 470th Birthday Moquegua!

Hey Family What's Hap Hap Happenin?

It was soo cool to hear about your Thanksgiving weekend and all the
food you ate there. I'm glad you were all together for Thanksgiving
and could enjoy eachothers company. I hope you talked and shared
experiences more than watched T.V. just becuase those moments don't
always last forever but there's always T.V. I actually kind of forgot
about Thanksgiving until an american reminded me on Thursday. I tried
to explain how cool it is to be able to just eat all day, watch
football, decorate the house for Christmas then go shopping on Black
Friday but most latinos just don't understand.

This week was pretty cool. We found some pretty cool people and a
family that has heard the gospel before. The most interesting part was
probably the Birthday Party for Moquegua. They turned 470 this year,
almost as old as mom!! (Hey-oh!!) There were parades on Thursday and
Friday almost all day. We saw a little bit of it but not a ton because
we are still missionaries so the work must go on. I absolutely love
the people here in Peru. I'm trying to learn as much as I can about
the culture here. Just like the states, the people here are different
than in the North or the East of Peru, so I'm trying to learn as much
as possible about every region.

Tuesday was pretty hilarious. Every Tuesday we have a meeting with the
Elders in our District and the District Leader teaches us something.
Our President has said that an Elder has to give a little mini lesson
for 15 minutes, in english. It was my turn this past week and it was
soooo hard to speak correctly in English. It was also pretty funny to
see all the blank stares on the Latinos' faces. Man, you guys are
really going to make fun of me on Christmas but I don't care. I talked
about how we have to teach people so that they understand, not just
teach to teach. It was fitting giving the circumstances.

Well, my testimony grew as always this week. I learned how important
it is to find joy in the journey and to learn from everything that
goes on around you. We actually had fun as a companionship this week.
Not because we goofed off more than usual, but becuase we worked hard
and talked to a ton of people. In the mission, the secret to being
happy is working and testifying to people of this gospel. I recieved
the package that you sent me with the CD. I love THIS IS THE CHRIST by
James E. Faust and really felt the Spirit testify to me the reallity
of the atonement when I read the lines "And how many drops of blood
were spilt for me".

I love the Savior and all the experiences I have been having here in
Peru. I hope you all do your best always and try to do a little more
each day. Be diligent and consistent.

Love,

Elder Child

P.S. So mad about the Utes, but hey there's always next year. Thank
you for the sports pages, they really broke the routine of things. My
comp says hi.

No comments: