Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Fighting Satan

Hey Familia ¿Què tal? ¿Què dicen parceros?

How's it going everyone? I've decided that I like the question marks
in front of the sentences. I'm not sure what "parceros" will translate
as through google but its a Columbian slang for "dude". I've decided
that I love the way my comp talks with all his slang from Columbia.
He's hilarious and I even took some videos when we were just chilling
out in the room, man I can't wait till I come home to show them to
you.

This week was a pretty hard fight with Satan. I'm not saying he won,
I'm just saying it was a little bit of a harder fight than usual. You
know how I was supposed to have a baptism this week? Yeah, that kind
of didn't happen. So, Marisol is 16 and she told us that her member
cousin was her legal guardian so we thought ya no problema we're
baptising her. But, it turns out that's not the case and her dad is
mad at her for some stuff so he's not giving his permission. It was
kind of a week full of trying to figure out a way to get permission
and work everthing out. It was kind of disappointing but we just have
to be patient in order to see the blessings.

We did get some points against the diablo though because one of our
investigators that was having problems, Efrain, totally said he wants
to get baptized this next week, and he came to church on his own
again. He's really cool and has a strong testimony. He says there's no
way the Book of Mormon isn't true becuase it only teaches good things
and he's seen a ton of blessings in his life since he's read it. He's
a special guy and I know he'll be a great leader in the church and
will raise a good family.

Also, we learned that another investigator that was going to get
baptized but moved away suddenly, just moved back and should be here
for awhile. We're going to see if he can get baptized next week. Also,
there's this little girl that was a reference from some members who is
going to get baptized this weekend too. Things are starting to really
progress here in my area becuase of the support of the members. I've
learned that maybe it sounds cooler if you tell people how many street
contacts and hours of knocking doors your doing, but it's more
effective to just visit member references and coordinate really well
with the ward leaders.

This week I also wrote down a few experiences because I think most
weeks I forget. Some really funny and interesting things happen in the
mish. Well, for starters this week was super cold and unusual!! There
were TWO WHOLE DAYS with clouds outside. That was worth writing down
and I was so excited to see the clouds for a change. Its probably been
a good 9 months since we've had two cloudy days in the same week!!
Supposedly it's going to start raining here but they also told me it
gets cold in Arequipa but that didn't happen.

Another funny experience was when we walked one of our drunk
investigators home. Nelson is in his fifties and his parents are
members. He's got a really bad problem with drinking and we were
supposed to have a lesson with him one day this week. We got there and
he wasn't there so we starting walking to another appointment. We find
him coming up the street so we walk him home. He really loves me, I
don't know why. But he acted like he was going to hit my companion and
even tore off his shirt (but he did it jokingly) and my comp totally
freaked out and started running away!! Hilarious! Nelson was laughing
too.

We were teaching the little girl and my companion was like, "ya, so we
have seven days to do what we want in the week but the eighth day we
have to keep a commandment. There's eight days in every week but
sundays we go to church" I didn't correct him and he just kept going
for a few minutes then I couldn't stop laughing and he realized, he's
an idiot.

Well, that's about it for this week. I love you all so much. Have a
great week and look for a missionary opportunity too.

Sincerely,

Elder Child

No comments: