Monday, March 12, 2012

The Boys Are Back in Town

Hey Family,
This week was pretty awesome for me and it sounds like for you guys
too. I'm glad its warming up a bit over there in Utah and that you're
all enjoying the extra hour of daylight. I saw that on the calendar
and thought Oh no, we're going to lose an hour of sleep but then I
realized I'm in Peru!!!! Sorry about not telling you about my new
comp, it kind of slipped my mind. His name is Elder Lozano, he's from
Peru, a part called Iquitos that's in the Jungle. He has 6 months in
the mission and isn't super experienced but he's super calm and
obedient, so I couldn't ask for anything else. His trainer is from my
group of missionaries who lives in Tooele, kind of cool. So my old
comp Elder Parra was only in Moqegua for like a week without me. He
got transferred this past week, can you guess where? That's right, in
our Zone!!! It was so cool to see him again. We see eachother three
times a week now which is cool. He really is a good friend and we went
through a lot together.

So I actually wrote some stuff down this week so I could remember.
Last P-day was cool. We ate in a member's home. We had the typical
food from Arequipa, stuffed red chili peppers (so delicious). It's
been like 8 months since I've eaten those, so It was good. Tuesday was
interesting because it was the first time in like a year that I've had
to use my raincoat. Its funny because it rains here every year but
nobody is really prepared for it, the streets flood pretty easily. But
the craziest thing is that for the first time in my mission I saw
lightning and heard thunder!! It was pretty weird. It usually doesn't
throw around lightning here in Arequipa for some reason so last year I
never heard any. Everybody freaked out but I was calm!!!!

Friday was super cool becuase a prayer was answered. Up to that day we
didn't really have very many new investigators so I pleaded with
Heavenly Father for help. I promised to talk to EVERY single person
that crossed my way that day. In the morning, I felt the strong
impression to knock a door. Turns out the guy that lives there has a
friend that's a member and is waiting to read the Book of Mormon.
Twenty minutes later we found a guy that had just moved to this area
and was looking for the church. He said he feels something different
in his heart when he goes to the Mormon Church and just wants to know
for himself what church to go to. Then in the afternoon we found like
6 others like that, unfortunately I dont have time to write about all
of them but just konw that I konw if we EXERCISE our faith and bind
god in his promises, he will ALWAYS deliver us. I konw the book is
true too!! I've met and listened to a lot of other churches in my
mission and have to say that a few have pretty convincing arguements
about their churches or about specific practices (going to church on
saturday). If I didn't have the rock that is the book of mormon, It
would be easy to be confused and lost by these teachings. I encourage
you all to read the book of mormon again and feast upon its words. Let
those words get infused into your soul and practice them. ASK our
loving heavenly father at the end of every day if the book is true.
When you finish the book, your testimony will be bulletproof.  I love
the mission!!!!

Elder Child

P.S. That's crazy to hear about Jordan, I wrote him an email. Can't
wait to see him hear in Arequipa.

P.SS. HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALEX, HOPE THE PARTY IS OFF THE HOOK! JUST ONE
YEAR MORE AND YOU'LL BE OVER HERE TOO!!!!

No comments: