Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Happy Easter

Querido Familia,
What's up everybody? I have a feeling that this letter is going to be a little shorter than usual just becuase the days are going by so fast. I really can't believe that it has been a week since I last wrote you all. This week was actually a little boring for the most part.

I went to go pick up my two food packages last week at the post office. I had to wait for like 2 hours but it was worth the wait. WOW. That was a lot of food that you sent me. The sad thing is that I'm not going to be able to use most of it just becuase we actually have a place to eat now. I especially appreciated the cook book, I'm not sure how much I can use it but thank you for the thoughts. I'm loving the brown sugar becuase they don't have any here. I also loved the fruit, but not so much the canned vegetables.

Tuesday was actually pretty cool. We went to go do service for one of the other Elders' investigators. This investigator makes bricks for a living. They mix the dirt, make the blocks, then put them in HUGE brick ovens to cure the bricks. We helped seal up the doors to the ovens with bricks. We had to throw bricks up to the top of the oven and put them in place to seal off the oven. They can put like 20,000 bricks in each oven. It was pretty cool. We also found out that we can get permission to build a church here with 12 Melchezedic Priesthood holders so we are going to focus on male investigators with families from now on.

Wednesday was pretty boring becuase my companion was sick. My companion and Elder Gamarra cleaned our bathroom and fixed the toilet because it was broken on Wednesday morning. They cleaned the bathroom with bleach but they forgot to dilute it. So they used like a liter of pure bleach to clean everthing with and were in the bathroom for like an hour. The good news is that the bathroom is almost spotless, the bad news is that they got like bleach poisoning. They just rested and took some pills. Eventually they got better but we kind of lost a day becuase of that.

Unfortunately this week we weren't able to obtain permission to baptize one of our investigators who is 13. It was kind of frustrating but hopefully we can get permission on another day. This week was Semana Santa everywhere in South America. It's Thursday, Friday, and Saturday of the week of Easter. It's a big holiday here in Peru and everybody is off work. They have movies of the Bible on all the time. Obviously it's more of a Catholic holiday than anything becuase really, they just commemerate the death of our Savior. Sunday, they don't do hardly anything to commerate the resurrection of our Lord. Some people asked us if we commerated the death of Jesus this week. We told them that we commerate his sacrifice for us every week. This bore testimony to me of the importance of the Sacrament. I learned that many people just worship one day of the year. We need to worship and remember every day of our lives.

Sunday was pretty incredible becuase it was Easter. Also, we had a record number of people at church. 61 people attended and we felt overwhelmed with joy. The house chapel that we use was full, it was really amazing. I wish I can see a church get built here in Characato.

I look forward for your next package. If you can, send big envelopes becuase it's still considered a letter, and it gets here in like 2 weeks and i don't have to go pick it up. But, it you really do have to send it in a box, you can. The giant envelopes work too though.

Love you all,
Have a good week,
Elder Child

No comments: