Friday, March 11, 2011

Good News, Bad News

Querido Familia,
What's up everyone? Just another p-day here in the old mish. Everyday
is exciting and brings experiences that I'm trying to remember
forever, but sometimes it's hard to write well in my journal everyday.
But anyways, this week was pretty crazy when I look back on it. I was
thinking about some of the things I wanted to tell you all this week
and I was thinking that there was a lot of Good News, Bad News
situations. So that's why this email is entitled Good News Bad News.

This past P-day we got to actually play some fùtbol with our zone and
another zone. It was pretty fun even though I don't have a clue how to
play soccer, and don't even get me started on my technique, it's
horrible. But it was fun to run around a little bit and look like a
real fool for three hours. I have a few real soccer jerseys so it was
fun to actually play with one this week. The only thing was that it
was super tiring. When we got done I felt like I wanted to die.

So that was last monday. We had Family Home Evening that night too,
and it was cool becuase we had like thirty people there. It's awesome
to see all of the people we know and all the people that are noticing
our efforts in Characato. If only all of them would come to church and
let us teach them (eventually). So on to Tuesday. Tuesday was actually
kind of a bummer. I felt super weak and sick. It was probably because
I hadn't eaten anything for like three days and I was really sick last
Friday. So we called the mission nurse and I told her how bad I felt.
Eventually I was able to take a test and figure out what was wrong
with my body. Becuase the good news was that I was losing some major
weight and I'm looking pretty good, all of my comps say that :) The
bad news was that I was super sick and tired and felt like crap. Turns
out I had a parasite. So that was why I was so sick. But the good news
was that it is a very common parasite and they gave me medicine
Saturday and Yesterday and I feel a whole lot better today. I really
am doing fine, so don't worry about me, it was just for a while that I
wanted to die.

Some more good news was that the other Elders in our area were going
to have baptisms, the bad news was that all of their baptisms fell
through at the last moment. We were sad for them, but we are going to
have the baptisms a little later. More good news, Sixto (the Dad of
that family that we baptized) he said that he wants to come to church
every Sunday with us. The bad news was that he said he never has time
during the week to get baptized, so ya we were pretty sad.

I know it sounds like we have had a lot of bad news here, but I'm
super grateful for all of your prayers and the support from the Lord.
Even though we've had these set backs, I feel stronger and more able
to cope with these challenges and tests. I feel a whole lot better
this week about my mission. I was stressing out about the language and
how to teach people, but now I feel better. I still have a hard time
vocalizing all of my thoughts and I'm not completely sure what to say
in some situations, but with the help of my companion and my Father in
Heaven, I feel strengthened every day. I gave a talk in church
yesterday and actually was able to teach most of the sunday school in
the Gospel Principles book. My companion said to me after how much my
Spanish has grown and how much I can actually do now. I don't feel
like dead weight anymore. My comp is the best. He had some problems
with the rules in anther life earlier in his mission but now he is the
best. He is Elder Baptism. He knows how to talk to the people, gain
their confidence, and use the spirit to testify and motivate people to
act on their feelings. He really has taught me alot and has told me
several times that I'm his best companion. He said he wants to be with
me for another two transfers and I really do feel the same way.

This week we have a girl that hopefully is going to get baptized by
her boyfriend who is a member. She is really cool and has recieved a
testimony of all of the things we have taught her. So that's cool. But
I want to tell you all of a family that we know that lives about half
an hour away from us in a tiny town called San Antonio. This family is
a husband and wife (yes, they are actually married: that was the first
sign that told us they are going to get baptized) with three kids ages
11, 8, and 3. They are super humble and simple people. The husband's
name is Ronald and has been mostly out of work lately, so they feel
humbled. And the wife's name is Monica. Unfortunately she is suffering
from cancer (of the uterus I think, but I'm not sure). So they were
all super open to our message. And also because of the kindness and
example of her doctor who is a member. They hopefully will get
baptized this month as well and I'm super excited to teach them
everything. Ronald has always excepted us with open arms and Monica
opens up every time we talk to her. She was in the hospital a week ago
and we went and gave her a blessing (in, Spanish, it was really hard).
But she felt the spirit and immediately felt more peace and
tranquility afterward. It strengthens my testimony to see these people
that barely have enough food to eat every day that except the gospel.
It makes me think of the Savior who spent his ministry with the poor,
sick, afflicted, outcasts of society; the wierd people, the liars, and
thieves. He was with the downtrodden and those who wanted to change.
Are we better than the Savior? We need to be with these people too.

I love you all and really appreciate all of your support and prayers.
We are going to get food today, so its a good day.

Love,
Elder Child

No comments: