Tuesday, June 28, 2011

13 Temples Soon to be 15 Temples in Utah

Hola Familia,
Hey everybody how's it all going with you? I heard that you all had a good week. I had a good week too. I'm not going to lie though, it wasn't as action-pácked as some other weeks. But sometimes that's just the way that it is in the mission I guess. I was excited to hear about the Jazz picks but to be honest I really don't have any idea what their deal is so I can't tell if they were good picks or not. I'm kind of sad that I missed that opportunity at Brad's farewell to see everybody and talk to my family but I know that what I'm doing right now is what the Lord wants of me. I forgot to write this last week but the 16th of june marked my one year mark of opening my mission call letter, I can't believe it's already been a year.

This past Monday we went to the doctor for my companion for his headaches. The doctor pretty much said there's not anything physically wrong with him he just has to try to stay out of the sun (which is really difficult in Arequipa) but he'll be fine. After that we played soccer again with a lot of other zones. It was fun to be there with a lot of other missionaries but I got tired really quick playing with them.

Probably the most interesting thing that happened this week happened on Thursday. Thursday we have weekly planning, but we always meet as a zone. The mission president came over and talked to us for a while. He said that shortly there will be a new stake here in arequipa and that they are creating a new zone for that. We aren't supposed to tell any members about it yet but since you guys live about 8,000 miles away I figured it's okay to tell you guys. He also told us that our monthly goal for july should be 5 baptisms. Hopefully we should be able to do it. We have 3 pretty certaing baptisms planned and hopefully two others can make that decision too.

This week our ward did a trip to the temple in Lima. From here to Lima it is a 16 hour bus ride (they don't take planes becuase it is so expensive) and there was an accident on the free way that held them up for 3 more hours. That's a pretty long drive. From what the bishop has told us it was a good two days working in the temple but he was the only priesthood holder that went. So, they had 58 family names to do endowments for but they had to only pick 3 names to do becuase they only had one priesthood holder there. That was pretty sad to here because they have to wait until the end of the year to go again. After he told the whole priesthood that story we had a lesson about that. The teacher sad that many people think "if there was a temple here in arequipa, i would go more often" but he said that that isn't true. We have to show our willingness to sacrifice first, our obedience. That made me think of all the members that take for granted the 13 temples we have in all of Utah, less than 6 hours from our house; what's our excuse for not going to the temple? I hope we can all do a little better and try to show our love for our Father in Heaven and keep his commandments.

I hope you all have a good week with a lot of energy  to do the things you want to know. I'll let you know when I get your letters and Levi Savage's journal. I'm looking forward to getting it. If you get Brad's email please let me know so I can write a few words of advice and encouragement.

Love,

Elder Child

P.S. I can't remember if i told you all but supposedly an apostle is going to come to our mission in the next few months, that should be really awesome. I also taught a forty minute lesson in sunday school about repentance, off the cuff. I can't believe how much my spanish has grown. The lord really does lift us up to do his work. Joseph Smith said that the lord calls us in our weaknesses then builds us and refines us to become the servant he needs.

Scripture of the Week: D&C 84:106

No comments: