Monday, February 14, 2011

We Have an Apartment

Querido Familia,
Thanks for all the mail this week. I was kind of depressed because
last week on the parents emailed me, and you know how exciting they
are right. I'm also glad to hear that there are some other people
outside of my family that actually get to read about my life here in
Peru. Well, this week was pretty crazy, but I only have a little bit
of time, so I'll just type up the highlights. I'm just doing these
letters mainly in chronological order so forgive me if it's boring but
that's just how I am.
Monday was awesome becuase we actually got to buy some food for the
house. We got to go to an actual mall that reminded me of the U.S.
because there was so much American stuff there. And it was really
nice. Like The Gateway status. We bought our food then had lunch, at
CHILI'S. That's right. I was totally thinking of you Nicole. I got a
burger, it was the closest thing to a burger I've had in three and a
half months so it was pretty good. And only like 8 bucks in American
money.
Tuesday was a neat experience. We didn't have water at the house so it
was interesting to say the least. But the work must go on. It was
cool, because even in our weak state we found the coolest family ever.
It is a mom and five kids. Three are over eight years old. She is
searching for the truth and wants to follow the savior in her life.
Another miracle, she's actually married to her husband. We haven't
gotten a chance to talk to her husband yet but it sounds like he will
let his family get baptized on the 19th. That day the President came
to our house to see what we all needed and stuff. So he got us an
electric stove and a mini fridge. We can actually cook an cool food
now. We just need a table, some shelves, counters, and cabinets, and
we'll be set.
Wednesday was pretty awesome because we actually had water which means
i could actually take a "real" shower. It was nice.
Thursday was probably the best day of the week besides yesterday. We
were given our desks to study on and our dresser for our clothes. Our
rooms look a little nicer now that we have things to store our stuff
in. I also learned that my package arrived but the Secretary at the
Mission Office just needs to go and get it and give it to me. It will
probably be tomorrow or Thursday, I'm not sure when, I'm just super
apprehensive for it.
Friday was nice because we actually had sun which means we could do
our laundry and actually dry it. We contacted and tracted into some
pretty receptive people that day as well. But, after we did laundry,
the water turned off again in our neighborhood until Sunday night.
So since we did't have water Saturday morning we went to our recent
converts' home to ask their mom for water. She gladly gave us 18
liters buckets of water for us. She is such a nice lady. She gave us
food and milk the other night as well to cook. She cooked us lunch
yesterday too after church. That family is really cool and just needs
to get married so that they can enjoy the blessings of baptism and
marriage. The husband is leaving for work for a whole month though, so
it might be a month or two until they can actually get married.
Saturday was really cool though because we got permission to go to San
Antonio to respond to some member references. San Antonio is about 35
minutes away by car. It's super pretty there because it's up against
the mountians and is super green. It's a small town with a peaceful
town square. There's a doctor there who is a member of the church and
knows some families that want to hear the gospel. We taught a family
that is super humble because the father is out of work and the mother
has cancer. She is Catholic but she has been touched by the kindness
of the doctor who is a member. The father prayed at the end of the
lesson and he said he felt really good at the end. Then his son said
he wanted to pray too, so we let him. The family is really ready and I
think they will recieve an answer to their prayers. They have two sons
above the age of eight, and a little girl who is about 2. They even
commited to go to church next sunday, which is like a miracle because
nobody likes to actually act on their feelings here, which is sad
sometimes. Saturday was also the beginning of a super Catholic
holiday. So we went to the town square to do some contacting but the
people there were drunk and not willing to listen in a peacefull
manner, so we left. But it really rained Saturday night, which was
difficult. It's so much harder to tract in the rain.
Sunday was really cool because we found some members who live a little
ways away who came to church yesterday. And we got 9 investigators to
come to church, and the other Elders got 7 people to come to church.
So we actually had something of a branch, like 25 people in all. It
was testimony meeting so all of the members got up and bore their
testimony. I bore mine and emphasized my testimony of the Sabbath day.
I definately took the time that I had every Sunday for granted. I miss
the time I had with my family and ward members every Sunday. People
here are difficult to get to church and to keep the Sabbath Day holy.
After church we went contacted again in the square but the square was
filled to the max with crazy drunk, dancing, loud catholics. They are
all God's children and we sincerely want to help them because they are
good people but it just wasn't the right time. Besides, it was raining
like CRAZY, last night. It rained a ton the past two days. I'm
definately sick of the rain. I hear that from the end of January to
March it rains. It's cold in April and May. But the rest of the year,
its hot and really sunny, for like seven months out of the year. Me
and my companion grew closer this week and i'm spending more time with
him instead of Elder Ruggiero. My spanish is getting better but I
still have a ways to go.
Every day I feel God's love for me and my testimony strengthens
through adversity. I definately know this church is true and is led by
a prophet of the Lord. I absolutely love church literature and
especially the Book of Mormon. I'm glad to be involved in this great
work and encourage everybody to reach out in love to your non member
friends and try to share the gospel in whatever little ways as
possible. Live the gospel and be happy. Be fully commited and love the
lord. Thanks for all your support. I love you tons.

Love
Sincerely
Elder Child

No comments: